Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told the US he considered murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi to be a dangerous Islamist, media reports say.
Prince Mohammed’s reported phone call to the White House came before Saudi Arabia admitted he had been killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
Saudi Arabia has denied the reports in the Washington Post and New York Times.
A Saudi national and well-known critic of Saudi rulers, Khashoggi was killed and his body dismembered on 2 October.
His remains have not yet been found.
On Friday, Yasin Aktay, an adviser to Turkey’s president, told Hurriyet newspaper officials believed that Khashoggi’s body “wasn’t just cut up”, but that the murderers “got rid of the body by dissolving it”.
His fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, has called on world leaders to “bring the perpetrators to justice”, in an editorial for the Guardian and other newspapers.